Packaging manufacturers, FMCGs, food service industries are looking for ways to replace single-use plastics with biodegradable and compostable packaging.
Mars Wrigley and Danimer Scientific Help Environmentally Conscious Consumers to Compost at Home by Developing Biodegradable Packaging from Natural Ingredients
March 16, 2021 www.mars.com
More & more plastics packaging are labelled as “biodegradable” and “compostable”. These two terms are often used interchangeably but many consumers are not aware that biodegradable plastics are not necessarily compostable and this affects the way these materials are dealt with after use, resulting in a problematic waste management process. In a circular economy, all plastics should be recycled into new plastics – but how has the recycling of PLA developed so far ?
What is the latest EU regulatory framework for biobased, biodegradable & compostable plastics ? Are these plastics well labelled to ensure their correct disposal and treatment ? What is the current state of biowaste management infrastructure in the EU and are there separate collection for the biodegradation of such plastics ?
Currently certifications exist for compostability or biodegradability of a packaging under a set of defined conditions by the certifier. However real-life conditions can differ and hampers biodegradation, especially for home composting and biodegradability in soil and water. Producers need to keep track of the processes and abide to a multitude of regulations in order to communicate the product's environmental benefit to customers.
Join us at this power packed one day conference on Biodegradable & Compostable Plastics Packaging and have all your questions answered !
- Martin Hyde, Policy Leader, Comply Direct
- Silvia Forni, Policy Officer Circular Economy and Plastics Strategy, European Commission
- Dr. Marco Ricci-Jürgensen, Chairperson, European Compost Network
Senior Expert, Italian Composting and Biogas Association
- Michael Thompson, Technical Manager, Impact Solutions
- Dr. Lucy Cowton, Product & Sustainability Manager, Futamura Chemical Company Ltd.
- Gerco Leeflang, Project Director Europe, Single Use Solutions
- Sophie Macedo, Business & Alliances Director, Carbiolice
- Dr. Andrew Walsh, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Jones Celtic BioEnergy Limited
- Sheila Millar, Partner, Keller & Heckman LLP
- Alessandro Dulli, Global Key Account Director, Polymateria