"Availability of PET in Europe in the midst of PTA shortages and lack of Asian imports"
"Supply chain challenges as the industry accelerates to 100% rPET"
The Covid economy brought a lot of demand for packaged goods – from takeaway meals on trays to increased online sales of consumer goods/drinks. EU PET is expected to be sold out till next year, with very little supply coming in from Asia and shortages of raw materials PTA & MEG exacerbating the situation
Availability and certainty of PET supply from Asia and added high freight cost has shifted sourcing of PET from European producers.
Buyers who have relied on Asian imports in recent years, are now having to rethink their strategies on how to secure supplies.
PET is the most widely recycled material that is approved for food contact packaging as long as not more than 5% of the plastic waste input in the recycled material comes from non-food contact applications as required by EFSA.
Under the Single Use Plastics (SUP) Directive, the EU has mandated the industry to include 25 percent recycled content in PET bottles by 2025 and 30 percent in all plastic bottles by 2030 . Already, some major brandowners have gradually made the transition for some of their brands to 100% rPET.
As the use of rPET increases and supply chain challenges continue, is 100% rPET sustainable in the long haul ?
It is reported that globally, slightly over 20 percent of R-PET capacity is food grade in comparison with only 3 percent of polyolefins.
Does the food & beverage industry have priority access to its own recycled packaging material ?
How are PET resin producers adapting to the shift in demand for rPET ?
CMT celebrates its 21st GE PET event in Brussels this December with a new look, a new improvement to the program - Merging our 2nd Recycled Packaging for Food Contact with 21st GEPET will be a welcomed attraction to the food / food service industry and brandowners who are rapidly finding sustainable packaging solutions.
Build strong relationships, reconnect with clients and make an impact – attend 21st GEPET in Brussels this year ! Extend your pass to purchase the 2nd day on Recycled Packaging for Food Contact and pay a discounted bundle fee.
- Alexander Borulev, Associate Editor - European Petrochemical Aromatics, S&P Global Platts
- Vassilis Monachos, Sales Manager, Polisan Hellas SA.
- Günther Pahlitzsch, Business Unit Manager rPET, Greiner Packaging Vertriebs GmbH
- Bart Nijsink, Sales Director Europe, Waste2Wear
- Sergio Collado Canas, Head of Engineering & R&D, Sulayr Global Service SL
- Jose L Giraldez, Sales & Marketing Manager, Plastic Sense Foundation
- Giovanni Lombardi, Innovation Manager, AMB Spa
- Carsten Eichert, Managing Director, RITTEC Umwelttechnik GmbH / Revolpet
- Markus Fellinger, General Manager Viscotec, Starlinger & Co. Gesellschaft m.b.H. / Viscotec
- Ingrid Goumans, Technical Application Manager, Avantium Renewable Polymers
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org