Africa’s first bottle-to-bottle PET recycling plant opened in 2015 in Johannesburg, by leading PET bottle recycler, Extrupet.
South Africa is the first country in Sub Saharan Africa to use rPET. The country, which recycles nearly two-thirds of its plastic waste, is the only African nation with a successful recycling model.
The scenario is however more challenging in other parts of the continent - due to limited recycling infrastructure, separation and collection system.
A recent study reports that currently, in many West African countries almost 70% of plastics waste ends up in landfills, sewers, beaches and water bodies.
However – things are evolving as brandowners are waking up to this urgency to minimize impact of their plastics footprint.
Stepping up these efforts in 2019 Coca-Cola, Nestle, Unilever and Diageo formed the African plastic recycling alliance to build on national recycling initiatives, drive collective action between some of the biggest consumer goods businesses operating in Africa.
IFC also announced financing packaging solutions to help Nigeria’s plastics waste & recycling industries.
Attend rPET Outlook Sub Saharan Africa and see how stakeholders in the recycling value chain are coming together to facilitate and support the growth of PET recycling.
- Mazi Ukonu, President, Recyclers Association of Nigeria (RAN)
- Alexander Gendis, Managing Director, EngeePET Manufacturing Company Nigeria
- Chandru Wadhwani, Joint Managing Director, Extrupet Pty Ltd
- David Drew, Sustainability Director, Africa, The Coca Cola Company
- Christoph Wöss, Business Development Manager, Application Bottle, EREMA Group
- Manoj Lakhiani, Chairman, Blow Group of Companies
- Jean-Marc Ricca, Managing Director, BASF West Africa Ltd
- Clem Ugorji, Founder / Lead Advisor, Circularium Africa Advisory
- Chimebuka Okwuokenye, Group CEO, Recyclan Ltd
Email email@example.com if you require more information and/or wish to register.
Please contact Hafizah
Do register anyway to purchase the event recording, available after the live streaming.